Wednesday, June 10, 2009

What to do with a Steep hill? Plant using Pantyhose


I've never tried this tip but read it some place and now wish I had a steep or rocky area I could test it out on. The biggest problem with these areas is keeping the soil on the area so plants can grow. How you solve this is by using old pantyhose (I always have those ones with runs that just can't be worn any more.

All you need are the legs of the pantyhose. Cut these off and fill the legs with your favorite mixture of soil. I would suggest what I use for plant pots a combination of topsoil, compost, and vermiculite (this helps hold moisture). To fill the pantyhose you can make a funnel from a coffee can with the bottom cut out - of course use the coffee first. Just slip the open end of the pantyhose over one end and start filling with soil then tie the end closed.

You now have a five or six foot 'tube' just lay it out where you want to plant, cut small holes where you want to place your plants and watch your slope come alive. If your working on a really steep slope you can make 'stacks' out of old coat hanger - make a 'U' from the hanger and poke it through the pantyhose tube and into the ground.

As I said I haven't personally tried this so would love to hear from any readers who have done this as to how it worked for you.


Photo above included in ByFaithOnly's Gallery at Shareapic if you would like to earn money by sharing your photos with others CLICK HERE.

ByFaithOnly's Garden

4 comments:

  1. Hi Faith,

    Just saw your comment about your sister needing things to do in the area besides work. I have a new garden blog for a website called ChicagoNow and I have a calendar of events of things going on this month. http://is.gd/XEDm I've shorted the url for you so it doesn't mess up your comments section. But your sister can find a lot of cool things to do this month.

    Thanks for stopping by and commenting. Keep in touch.

    MrBrownThumb @ Chicago Garden

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thank you MrBrown I will pass that on to my sister. She's lived 20 years in one of those places when you drive through if you blink you miss it - now she's right down town Chicago. Big sis is a little concerned even if she is almost 50 :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, LOL. You know sometimes I wish I lived in one of those small towns, again. I lived in a small town in AZ for a year and loved it.

    If you sister needs any help or recommendations feel free to find me on Twitter or somewhere and I'll see if I can help.

    MrBrownThumb @ Chicago Garden

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH that is so sweet of you thank you - I did email the link you gave me to her but haven't heard back from her.

    I love small town - have lived in LA and Houston and right now live in Jackson which is small but I'm right in town and too much for me. I'm headed for the country again as soon as I can afford it.

    ReplyDelete